Welcome to Quinte Secondary School, a school in the heart of Belleville that is deeply rooted in tradition and pride. Our school programs are focussed around fostering leadership and excellence in the areas of Academics, Athletics, The Arts, and Technology in a highly inclusive learning environment. Quinte offers high quality programs which focus on meeting the needs of 21st Century learners to prepare them for their post secondary pursuits. We believe that citizenship, global responsibility and community involvement are the building blocks of fostering well-rounded student growth and development.
A SCHOOL FOCUSSING ON EXCELLENCE AND SUCCESS FOR ALL STUDENTS IN A CARING AND SAFE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
Quinte Secondary School is proud of the achievements of our students. In June 2012 we celebrated:
- 141 Students on the Honour Roll with an average of 80% or higher
- 143 Graduates
- 77Junior Award Recipients including 7 recipients of the “new” Saints Award of Character.
- High levels of student achievement in all pathways
- Student leadership is a priority at QSS. We have a double credit student leadership course as well as the Link Crew program to support all students, and in particular to mentor each incoming grade 9 student. QSS student leaders have planned, organized and implemented an astounding number of events to support our school and our community such as: Pink Day and Pink Volleyball Classic for Breast Cancer Awareness, the Breatherhood Event for the Lung Association and our Bullying Symposium for our feeder school students in grades 6-8.
- 21'st Century Learning is an essential component to education. We place high importance on the development of critical thinking skills in students, and we embrace the use of technology in learning, and the innovative use of technology whether it’s blogging, tweeting, or the everyday use of collaborative technology in the classroom.
IPADS are being used by teachers and students to further student engagement. We are continuing to add SMARTboards to our exceptional computer based resources. Students are blogging, using IPODS and smartphones as learning tools, and accessing Moodle as an online resource to supplement their classroom learning. They are learning in self directed ways, and monitoring their own learning skills and work habits. Learning is changing and we are working hard to meet demands of our ever changing world.
- Character Education is a key component which is integrated both within and out of the classroom. As a part of the greater community, we are committed to responsible citizenship. This past Christmas for example, our students and staff supplied Christmas food baskets to 25 families in our community, because we care.
- The Extracurricular Athletics Program at QSS continues to be competitive in many sports and rocked the sports scene last spring and when the Sr. Girls Rugby team captured Gold at the OFSAA Championships. The team will compete again this spring and are hoping to retain the OFSAA Champion title. We continue to offer a full range of individual and team sports at both the junior and senior levels, and for the first time in 25 years there was a Junior Boy's Soccer team.
- New and innovative programming and facilities are now established to support increased Student Achievement. We are very excited to be offering a new “HOCKEY Course” this year with Belleville Bulls working alongside the teacher as peer tutors.
- Our Curricular and Extracurricular Arts Program is exceptional giving students the opportunity to display their work in our new “Student Art Gallery Wall” and perform their work in several different venues.
- A Specialized High Skills Major Program (SHSM) in Manufacturing Technology, and the continuation of the SHSM Program in Construction, both accredited by the Ministry of Education and implemented in a partnership with local business and industry. A key partner as well is Loyalist College. The Dual Credit program involves our house-building students actually attending the College while in high school to reach ahead and earn credit towards their trade. Our in-house Manufacturing program involves team teaching with a QSS and a Loyalist teacher working with our students in the shop here at QSS.
Our recently renovated Science Labs, Foods Lab, Fitness Centre and Art Studios offer our students current and cutting edge environments to learn in.
Quinte Secondary School students, staff and alumni stand proud and actively support our school. Our community partners provide meaningful opportunities for our students and staff. The combination of a strong history of excellence, of offering innovative and effective programming to all students, and our continued commitment to improving our school, make Quinte Secondary School the place to be! We are a proud and committed staff and we want to take this opportunity to welcome each new Saint as you enter Quinte S. S. and to welcome back our existing Saints.